IOHRM Alumni Professional Development Conference
Thanks to all of our alumni, students, and faculty who made the event such a success. We will update the conference website in the Spring 2014 semester and include pictures of the event and video of Dr. Hindman's history of the program.
Below is the conference announcement and schedule. As soon as we get next alumni conference scheduled, we will update information below.
The IOHRM Alumni Professional Development Conference will be held on November 8th, 2013 (Friday) and November 9th, 2013 (Saturday) at the Appalachian State campus.
The event will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the IOHRM program by bringing together alumni, faculty, and current students for a networking and professional development opportunity. We sincerely hope you will join us in Boone for this exciting opportunity to see how the program has changed since you were here!
When: Friday, November 8th - Saturday, November 9th
Friday Afternoon Schedule (Parkway Ballroom- Plemmons Student Union)
- 12:00pm: Meet-and-greet Alumni Lunch
- 1:30pm: Program Remarks
- Dr. Hugh Hindman: The history of the IOHRM program
- Dr. Tim Huelsman: Where we are and where we are going
- 2:15pm: Catching Up on the Past
- A moderated discussion to help IOHRM alumni, students, and faculty get reacquainted
- The discussion will allow alumni to share their ASU experiences and discuss what they have been up to since they graduated from the program
- 3:30pm: Campus Tour (for those interested- family welcome)
Friday Evening Schedule (Solarium- Plemmons Student Union)
- 5:00pm-6:00pm: Cocktail Reception
- 6:00pm-8:00pm: Family Friendly Dinner and Reception
Saturday Morning Schedule (Fourth Floor- Raley Hall)
- 8:00am: Light breakfast
- 9:00am-12:00pm: Professional Development Workshops
- See schedule below
All events will be held on the ASU campus. Friday evening will be a family-friendly dinner for alumni and their families. All other scheduled conference events are for alumni only. There are no formal events scheduled for Saturday afternoon to allow alumni additional opportunities to catch-up with their classmates and take time for their families to enjoy the High Country.
Professional Development Workshops
- Current Trends in IOHRM: What's Happened in IOHRM Since You Graduated
- Moderated by Kellie Collins (ASU-2014)
- Employee Engagement: Kate Thompson (ASU-2014)
- Women in Leadership: Amanda Eberhardt (ASU-2014)
- Social Media and HR: Ian Head (ASU-2014)
- Globalization: Alli Byrd (ASU-2014)
- Change Management in the Real World
- Cynthia Miller (Lowe's, ASU-2001)
- Wayne Crowley (Lowe's, ASU-2002)
- Career Journeys in IOHRM: What It Is Really Like Out There
- Moderator: Sarah Light (ASU-2014)
- Stacey Bumgardner (Press Ganey Associates, ASU-2011)
- Jennifer Cline (TIAA CREF, ASU-2006)
- Jess Whitaker (Avatar, ASU-2006)
- Derrick Swing (City of Asheville, ASU-1996)
- Bo Hughes (Impact International, ASU-1995)
Registration closes Wednesday, November 6th. Registration Costs
- Registration after October 18: $120.00
- On-campus parking for both Friday and Saturday
- Lunch (starting at 12pm), dinner, and reception (starting at 6pm) on Friday
- Saturday morning coffee, light breakfast, and professional development workshops
Visit our registration website: Register here
Activities and Events for Family
- Due to low interest planned formal activities for children and significant others will not be held.
- Family members can attend the campus tour on Friday.
- Friday's Family Friendly Dinner and Reception
Family friendly dinner and reception will be held on campus: Friday from 6pm-11pm
Per person costs for non-conference guests:
- 12 & under: $12
- 13-20 years old: $20
- 21 & up: $30 (open bar included)
There are several hotel options listed below. Special prices for the conference have expired. Book as soon as possible!
- Click here for Courtyard Boone
- Phone: (800) 627-7468
- Click here for Fairfield Inn
- CLick here for Holiday Inn Express
Let Other IOHRM Alumni Know About the Conference!!
It appears that many of our IOHRM alumni did not see the initial announcement of the conference posted on the “IOHRM at Appalachian” LinkedIn group. This group has been the primary way that we have tried to communicate with IOHRM alumni and announce the publication of our IOHRM newsletter “Eye on IOHRM”. If you are not a member of our LinkedIn group, please consider joining.
If you are in contact with any of your classmates, please let them know about the conference as we would like to have as many alumni coming back as possible. We hope you all can make the trip back to Boone and help us celebrate 30 years of ASU’s IOHRM program!
If you have any questions or suggestions about the conference, please feel free to contact Dr. Shawn Bergman (email@example.com).